Friday 2/13
I got ready, loaded up the car, and left the house at about 5:45 am for my road trip out to Arizona for a marathon double. The first leg of my trip was about 1.5 hours, taking me out to the Tesla Supercharger station at the Indio Towne Center. After plugging the car in for a charge, I walked over to the Starbucks to pick up some breakfast.
On the mobile app, I ordered a venti flat white and a ham & Swiss on baguette. I cashed in 200 stars for the coffee to be complimentary. That's pretty much the only time that I'll ever order anything larger than a grande size! I ate the sandwich and used their restroom before heading back to my car.
My second stop after about another 1.5 hours of driving took me out to the Tesla Supercharger station out in Quartzsite. After plugging the car in for a charge, I headed inside the Terrible's to use their restroom. However instead of purchasing a drink there, I decided to check out the rather new-ish Starbucks next door. On the mobile app I placed an order for a venti blonde vanilla latte. Once again, I cashed in 200 stars for the drink to be free. I took it back to my car to enjoy while I waited for the car to finish charging.
A little over 2 hours later, I arrived at Sloan Park. I ended up finding a curb side parking spot along Sheffield Ave. The entrance of the race expo was over on the other side at the home plate gate. It was a pretty quick in-and-out for me to pick up my race packet as well as my friend's. It would seem that in my haste, I had missed the participants name wall. I moved on to the vendor booths to get all of their passport codes to enter on the Mesa Marathon mobile app. On the way out, I bumped into my friend that runs a ton of races as a pacer. I grabbed a quick selfie with her before heading back to my car.
I was going to use a portpotty before heading out, but all of them were zip-tied shut. I decided to hold it until I got to the Target over at the Tempe Marketplace. I stopped in to buy the usual snacks and electrolyte drinks for my upcoming 2 races. I stopped at this particular location as I also needed to go to the Road Runner Sports to pick up my race packet for Sunday's race.
After paying for my items, instead of driving over, I dropped them off at my car before walking across the huge parking lot to get to Road Runner Sports. While picking up my race packet, I bumped into one of my local friends that runs way more races than me. In addition to my race bib and a nice long sleeve race shirt, I also received printouts with the race course map and instructions.
Once I took care of that, I hopped back in the car and drove over to the nearby Pacific Rim and Sushi to eat a late lunch or very early dinner. I ordered the usual Hawaiian Plate and a Hawaiian Sun passion orange drink. I come here often enough where one of the employees thought that I was originally from Hawaii.
After finishing my meal, I drove up to my timeshare rental, WorldMark Scottsdale. I checked in at the front desk and was assigned to unit #5206. After given my room key, I was directed to stop at the concierge station. It was the same old crap. Yet, another invitation to an "owner update" even though I had mentioned that I went to one just last month. I also mentioned that the experience at a Club Wyndham property was way worse than at a WorldMark site. I was kind of surprised the they agreed with me, calling those people, crazy! Their last attempt was to offer me a larger amount in a gift card after they saw that I was only given $50 for my last update. Once more, I declined and excused myself to go to my unit. No matter what I say, I have found that it still took an average of declining 4 times before they'll let me go.
After getting into my unit, I went through my race packet and laid out my flat runner for tomorrow's marathon. Later in the evening, I ate through a bag of chips as I watched the latest episode of the WWE Friday Night SmackDown! I took a shower before calling it a night.
Saturday 2/14
I got up super early as I wanted to put some charge in the vehicle before heading over to Sloan Park to catch a bus ride to the start line. I left my room at about 2:30 am and drove over to the nearby Tesla Supercharger station at the Camelback Miller Plaza. Since it was so close by, the car didn't have enough time to pre-condition the battery for quick charging. That was fine since I was only planning to charge it up to about 80%.
Once that was done, I unplugged and drove over to the Starbucks at Bass Pro Dr and Dobson Rd. I exited the 202 at Dobson Rd. For some reason, the left turn onto Bass Pro Dr was coned off. I drove a bit further and was able to make a u-turn and enter the parking lot just north of Bass Pro Dr. I was very grateful that this particular location was opened so early! With coffee in hand, I was able to then head over to the parking lot just north of the Sheraton Mesa Hotel. This lot wasn't close to the bus pick-up or the finish line, but it worked out great last year. The main reason for picking this lot was so that I wouldn't have to deal with any pre and post race traffic as it was away from all of the action.
After getting off of the bus, I checked out the start line and used a portapotty before finding a spot under one of many heat lamps. While waiting and passing time, I ended up chatting with #11318 Miguel. Him and his buddy #13131 were a couple of Marines running in their very first marathon. I gave them a few pointers for this particular course. As the start of the race approached, everyone started to scatter. I hung back a bit to use a portapotty one last time before getting into the start corral. While waiting I bumped into a couple of familiar faces. Once I took care of that, I positioned myself near the 4:30 pace banner.
The scheduled start time was 6:30 am. I didn't cross the start line until just after 6:40 am. With another marathon tomorrow, I ran today's marathon purely by feel. This was my 4th time running this race, so I was quite familiar with the course. I ran at whatever pace felt most comfortable. The first 4 miles were mostly downhill, so that pace was about a 8:40. The next 2 miles had some decent inclines, so the pace slowed to 9:25. The next 7 miles, I gradually slowed things down, running about 10-15 seconds slower with each passing mile until I was cruising at about a 9:45 pace. I reached the halfway point in 1:59 flat.
I continued on at that pace until about mile 18 where I finally felt the need to take walk breaks. With a walk break after reaching each mile marker, my pace was down to about 11:15-11:30 per mile. The sun was out, so eventually, it started to feel warm. During the last couple of miles, I met MM#9429. I chatted with her to try and get her to run it in with me. Unfortunately, she couldn't keep up. I was able to run the last mile or so at a slightly faster pace pretty much to get the race over with and be under 4:20.
Finish: 4:19:20
Click here for my Garmin data.
After crossing the finish line, I received my finisher medal, a cold wet towel, and a bottle of water. I waited a bit as I wanted to get a selfie with the Marathon Maniac that I had just met. After that we went our separate ways. I was quite content with my race as it felt like one of my easier ones. I felt well within myself with today's effort. Without another marathon tomorrow, I'd probably shave a few minutes off of that time.
I got a post race snack bag and a Creamies ice cream before getting in the long line to get my results printed. We were informed by a guy in charge that their server had crashed and needed to be rebooted. They were estimating that the data needed about an hour to catch up. I wasn't too eager to get a printout, so I went over to the adjacent booth to pick up my Desert Double medal for having run the Phoenix Marathon as well.
Having already picked up my race packet for tomorrow's race, I wasn't in such a hurry to leave. I headed over to the final corner to cheer on my fellow runners. Along the way over to that corner, I stopped near the finish line to take a selfie with my 2 medals. It was cool that I was able to spot a few familiar faces out there. Once the 5 hour pacers came through, I started heading out as the sun was a bit too bright. My very fair skin would be burnt if I wasn't too careful!
Along the way back to my unit, I drove over to Gateview Park to pick up lunch at Bethlehem Kitchen. Although the place looked rather empty at prime lunch time, I wanted to give them a try as they were participating in the AAdvantage Dining Program. Most customers seemed to be doing to-go orders as well. I ordered their ribeye beef kabob plate. I took it back to my room to enjoy. It was a very suitable post marathon meal!
Later that evening at about 4:30 pm, I drove over to Mesa Riverview to eat dinner with my friends at Mensho Ramen. It was a busy Valentine's Day, so we had to get there pretty early in case the line was long as they did not take reservations. We met up at 5 pm to join the line. Thankfully, it was a short wait before we were seated at the counter, right in front of the kitchen. Having looked over the menu ahead of time, I already knew that I was going to order their Signature Toripaitan Ramen. This was arguably the best bowl of ramen that I've had outside of Japan or any Little Tokyo. Believe the hype!
After we were done with our delicious meal and had settled the bill, we all went our separate ways. Back at my room, I laid out my flat runner and started winding down for the night. I needed as much rest as I could get before I run another marathon tomorrow morning!
Sunday 2/15
I got up early, got ready, and packed the car to both check-out of my room and to head to the race. Just like yesterday, I planned to charge up the car at the Tesla Supercharger station before heading to the Lost Dutchman Rodeo grounds for a bus ride over to the start. I left my unit at just before 3 am. I drove over to the Tesla Supercharger station over at Signal Butte Rd. There were some sketchy people in the parking lot near Sprouts, but eventually they would leave. Most of the traffic that I saw while waiting for the car to finish charging were people going through the drive-thru at the nearby McDonald's.
I was one of the very first cars that showed up at the rodeo grounds. I was there so early that the volunteers weren't quite ready for me. I just drove over to lighted area where there were a handful of people gathered. One of them just told me to park in one of the nearby parking spots. The first bus was scheduled to depart at 4:30 am. I ditched my extra layers, grabbed my handheld bottle, and boarded the bus at about 4:20 am. The bus ride was quite rough once Peralta Rd became a dirt road. You could tell that this wasn't our bus driver's first time making this drive. She was taking the dark bumpy roads with ease and speed!
We arrived at Don's Camp area at about 5:10 am. After getting off of the bus, I went over to the food table to see what they had to offer. I only opted for some coffee. It definitely wasn't Starbucks. It wasn't very good, but it was a bit strong. Once again, I bumped into my friend, Pascal, who was dressed up as a prospector. I used a portapotty before heading onto the bus to get away from the campfire smoke. Having run this marathon once back in 2015, I knew that I didn't want to be breathing in that smoke right before running a marathon!
While passing time on the warming bus, I bumped into some familiar faces. I also ended up chatting with Wayne #353 from Morro Bay. There were quite a few people taking shelter in the bus that all had the goal of finishing a marathon in each of the 50 States.
At about 20 minutes before the scheduled 7 am start of the race, we finally left the bus and started heading over to the start line. I bumped into Cade along the way. As dawn was breaking, we were treated to some beautiful views of the surrounding desert! When I reached the starting corral, I positioned myself near the 4:30 pacers.
I started the race running about 9 minute miles. I knew that that would not be sustainable on tired legs, so eventually I settled on about 9:30s during the mostly downhill run out of Peralta Canyon. At mile 7, I got onto Superstition Freeway. At about mile 8.5, we turned right on Kings Ranch Rd and headed into the Gold Canyon residential area. The next few miles would be a steady incline. During the 12th mile, I was starting to feel quite tired from the grind. A lady named Brenda ran up to me and asked questions about the 100 marathon club. She turned out to be from Washington, a friend of a friend. She was training for a hundred miler and was climbing much better than I was!
Shortly after reaching mile 18, I made the right turn onto Broadway Ave for an out-and-back section. It was about a mile out, but it felt longer as my legs were toast. I took an extended walk break to try and stay ahead of some massive leg cramps. I ended up hiking pretty much all of that 2 mile stretch up Goldfield Rd. I was cooked by that sun and I was feeling pretty well-done! I was very glad to finally reach the left turn onto Lost Dutchman Blvd with about 2.5 miles to go. I ended up running a little bit with Oscar #134 as he was playing some tunes. I was just looking for anything to take my mind off of the grind! I was getting a bit gassy during those final miles. At that point, I just wanted to be done and then find a restroom! When I got up to Idaho Rd, it was only about a half mile to go. I was hoping to run it in, but I still needed a quick walk break as my legs were shot and on the verge of cramping up. With a final turn into Prospector Park, thankfully, I was able to run the rest of the way to the finish line and just get in under 5 hours.
Finish: 4:56:54
Click here for my Garmin data.
Shortly after crossing the finish line, I received my finisher medal and a bottle of water. I also received a bag of post race goodies. I bumped into speedy Cade on my way over to get a sample can of Celsius. We briefly chatted before I excused myself to go use the restroom. Unfortunately, the solo stall in the park restroom was occupied so I opted for a portapotty. I didn't stick around too long as I needed to meet up with my friend for a post race meal. I caught a bus ride back to my car where I changed out of my dirty clothes and shoes before hitting the road.
Per the usual, I met up with my friend at the Portillo's at the Tempe Marketplace. Fortunately, I was able to find nearby parking. Before going inside, I placed my order on the mobile app. While doing so, I saw that there was a BOGO deal. I used it to get 2 jumbo Chicago dogs for the price of one! Chicago dogs will always be my favorite! After we finished our food and went over my races for the weekend, it was time for me to hit the road!
I made pretty good time and rolled into the usual Tesla Supercharger station in Quartzsite at just a little after 4:30 pm. After plugging in, I went inside the Terrible's to use their restroom. Then I went over to the Starbucks to get some coffee. I cashed in 200 more stars and ordered a trenta salted caramel cream cold brew. Unfortunately, the person making my drink informed me that they were completely out of cold brew. She asked if it was okay for her to substitute it with drip coffee. I was fine with that. Once I got my drink, I went back to the car to wait until I got a full charge so that I could make it all the way out to Beaumont for another quick charge.
Once I had reached the Tesla Supercharger station in Beaumont, I plugged in the car before going inside the Circle K to use their restroom. I unplugged the car as soon as I got back as I only needed a little bit to ensure that I had enough charge to get back home.







































































































No comments:
Post a Comment