Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rock n Roll San Jose Half Marathon 2011

Travel and Expo
Well, I ended up hurting myself a week before the race during a training run. My ankle had been sore, but I decided to run anyways. I ended up limping for the next several days, but eventually I was able to lose the limp. So I flew on an early flight on Southwest out of Ontario to San Jose. It was a short flight and I ended up sitting in the first row. It was the first time I got to be the first person to get off of the plane. The San Jose airport was really nice. I took the #10 bus to the metro light rail station. I took the rail over to the Convention Center and walked over to the expo. The rail system was very convenient.

The Expo

I went through all of the expo with no races to register and nothing to buy. I stopped by the Nutrilite trailer to see if I can pick up some endurance cubes, but they had already ran out. I sampled their energy bar. It was a bit chewy for my taste. Upon entering the van, I was greeted by a video of Kara Goucher endorsing Nutrilite products.

Kara Goucher hocking the Nutrilite products :)

After I was done with the expo, I walked over a few blocks to my hotel, the Ramada. I got a very nice corner room, but it was on the 3rd floor. I knew that being on the 3rd floor would be a problem after the race.

Ramada

Race goodies

I relaxed while watching some TV. Then as lunch time approached, I took the rail up to Japantown to eat some ramen. There was a fair being held there which was pretty neat. I ate at Kumako Ramen where I ordered the tonkotsu shoyu ramen with egg. It was decent, but nowhere near the best.

Japantown Fair

Kumako Ramen

Kumako Ramen - tonkotsu shoyu ramen with egg

After eating ramen, I stopped by Nijiya to buy some snacks. After buying the snacks, I stopped by the bonsai exhibition. Very cool exhibits.

Nijiya - snacks

Bonsai

Bonsai

Bonsai

Bonsai

Bonsai

Since my room had a fridge, I bought an Odwalla drink at The Market on my way back to my hotel. I ate my snacks while watching the baseball game on TV. Then eventually it was time for dinner and I hopped on the rail again for Japantown. This time, I ate at Gombei. I had their combo which was pretty good and the price was also very reasonable at only $10. It came with miso soup, mackerel, katsu, and salad.

Gombei - Gombei combo

Race Day
I woke up pretty earlier to get ready. I always like to take my time. I never like to feel rushed. I walked over to the starting area. I hung out at the steps near the volunteer check in area and mixed my electrolyte drink. I then found a bench to sit down which was only a few yards for the gear check area. When I was ready to go check my gear, I bumped into my half fanatic friends. We took a picture and I left to get ready for the race.

Half Fanatics

As I was headed for my corral, I bumped into my bay area friends, Jen and Johannes. We walked over to our corrals. I saw Ben while we waited in the corral. After a short wait, we were off. Even though we were in separate corrals, once the gun fired, everyone was released.

The only goal for the race was to just finish the race with as little pain as possible even if I have to walk it.

The Race
The first mile felt very comfortable until about 3/4 of a mile. I started to feel discomfort in the right ankle so I slowed down a bit. I could not hold it together in mile 2. I had to walk and jog. By mile 3, I was ready to drop out. But I decided to stick with the plan and turn it into a walk-a-thon. Around mile 5, I saw Meb Keflezighi in first place headed for the finish line. Then later near mile 6, I saw Deena Kastor as the first place woman headed for the finish. Not that far behind her was my friend, Gundy. He was hauling butt. Other than that it was a very long uncomfortable walk and jog to the finish line.
1: 8:03
2: 10:04
3: 13:28
4: 14:55
5: 13:46
6: 14:57
7: 15:35
8: 16:11
9: 16:41
10: 17:24
11: 16:01
12: 16:30
13: 14:50
13.1: 1:22

Finish: 3:09:47

Post Race
After finishing, I hurried through the finisher's area to go pick up my gear bag so I could check out of my hotel. I bumped into the fanatics on my way out. Looks like I was the last to finish. I limped back to my hotel. It was not fun walking up to the 3rd floor. I took a quick shower, packed up and checked out right at 12pm.

I would like to run this race again someday when I'm healthy. The course was definitely a PR course. There are also some other restaurants that I'd like to try out. One is Orenchi Ramen. But I would need to take a long bus ride or bring my car.

Finisher's medal

For lunch, I walked over to the Tandoori Oven. I had their Tandoori chicken salad. It was pretty good stuff. I would seem that I prefer eating a salad after races.

Tandoori Oven - Tandoori chicken salad

I then walked over to, Camera 12 Cinema, the movie theater next door to watch a movie. I bought a ticket for 50/50, but it didn't start for another hour or so. I first waited outside of a nearby Starbucks, but I left when a couple of guys started smoking cigars. I ended up waiting in the theater lobby. The movie was pretty good. It was very humorously done with some very emotional scenes. It got me kind of misty-eyed... which wasn't too hard especially after just walking a half marathon for Team in Training. Even though it was just a movie, cancer really does suck.

After the movie, I walked over to Smoke Eaters to watch some sports and eat some of their famous wings. I ordered 10 traditional wingers with bleu cheese. There was no way I would attempt the Hellfire Challenge. Their wings were pretty good, but really can you even mess up buffalo wings?

Smoke Eaters

Smoke Eaters

Smoke Eaters - 10 traditional wingers with bleu cheese

After watching a little bit of TV, I took the rail and headed for the airport. I tried to get on the earlier flight, but it was a pretty full flight and they would have to charge me for the fare difference unless my flight was at least 15 minutes late. It was only 10 minutes late. Oh well, since I had some time to kill I headed for the bar at The Brit. I had a Guinness and a Sam Adams. A couple of drinks always makes a flight in coach a lot more tolerable. :)

The Brit - Guinness

The Brit - Samuel Adams

No comments: