It was a rainy day. I left work and drove out to pick up my friend who made a last minute decision to run the race. We drove through rain, sleet, and a little bit of snow to get into the Vegas area. Thank goodness my car had AWD, it certainly felt a lot safer. We took a short potty break at Primm. Also we drove through the McDonald's drive-thru because my friend wanted a McFlurry. I guess we all have our pre-race rituals or habits. As for mine, we had to hurry to make it to Fukumimi Ramen before they closed at 11pm. Apparently I got the last bowl for the night at about 10:30pm. They turned away a customer that came in shortly after us. It would be hard to find a better bowl of ramen in Vegas than here!
Fukumimi ramen
We then drove to check into our hotel. When I first booked the room it was called Blackstone Inn, but they were transitioning to their new name, Baymont Inn & Suites. It was conveniently located on Flamingo, just east of Paradise Rd.
Saturday - Race Day
The weather forecast predicted early rain and should taper off before the start of the race. Boy, sometimes those forecasts are very accurate! It was drizzly as we were driving out to the starting area, but it cleared up just in time for the race. We stopped by the Hacienda to pick up our friend Marathon Mitch. I guess it was a great sign when there was a rainbow off in the distance. Most of the Marathon Maniacs gathered together shortly before the race to snap a group photo.
Marathon Maniacs
My goal for this race was to take it easy and finish around 5 hours. Having run this race before, I knew what to expect. This race course comprised of two out-and-backs for a total of 13.1 miles and obviously we get to run it twice for the marathon. The first couple of miles was mostly a gentle climb before getting to the gravel section where we run through the tunnels. I always get a bit disorientated running in the darkness. Then we get to the rolling and winding part where there was a decent hill. I sped up a bit approaching the Dam since I was following a girl running the 10k. The switchback going down to the parking lot is my least favorite part of the course. It is just a pain in the butt. After taking a short loop around the top floor of the parking structure, we head back retracing our steps. On the way back, one of my fellow Marathon Maniac friend Chris caught up to me. We ran several miles together to the halfway point before he left be behind and powered ahead. Before heading to the halfway point, we had to run about 3/4 mile past the turn for the start/finish line for an out-and-back to add the appropriate distance to the course. Although I had to deal with cramping and a sore right ankle during the second loop, I could tell that the ankle is getting better and the endurance is beginning to improve.
1: 9:50
2: 9:52
3: 9:35
4: 10:56
5: 9:34
6: 8:28
7: 11:33
8: 10:20
9: 10:38
10: 10:48
11: 10:05
12-14: 34:31 (11:30)
15: 12:54
16: 12:18
17: 15:00
18: 14:38
19: 11:18
20: 17:21
21: 14:10
22: 14:18
23: 11:46
24: 11:29
25: 10:07
26: 12:20
26.2: 1:54
Finish: 5:05:44*
*Official time: 5:04:33... their timing system was inaccurate. I always wear a regular stopwatch. There are no lost signals or whatever to throw off the timing. I'm always only off by a second or two. Never has my watch been off by over a minute!
I hate the Dam switchbacks!
Running a few with MM Chris
Nadia at around mile 22 heading back to the finish line for the win!
A nice bench with a beautiful view
The famous tunnels!
Yolanda, the Walking Diva!
Post-race
This race was challenging and definitely not a PR course, but I had a fun time out there seeing so many of my friends and a lot of familiar faces. Out and back courses certainly make it easier to do that throughout the race. I also got to meet my friend's beautiful dog. A lot of the Marathon Maniacs hung around to wait for everyone to finish. After shooting the breeze for a while, we all started dispersing and parting for our separate ways.
I love black Labrador Retrievers!
The Dam medal!
We dropped off Mitch at his car before heading back to the hotel. My friend had to get cleaned up before going to the airport to catch a flight back home. The resort fee included shuttle service to the airport. I met up with Mitch to eat dinner at the Buffet at the Bellagio. This buffet is great if all you're eating are meat from the carving station and king crab legs. But if you like to eat other items, this place is somewhat lacking. You're better off trying the other many choices all along the Strip.
Overcooked prime rib and king crab legs
More king crab legs, rack of lamb, and something that's definitely not Kobe beef
Salmon, some other fish, prime rib, cocktail shrimp, and a spinach salad
After dinner Mitch and I walked over to Paris to meet up with some of the Marathon Maniacs from the East Coast. I had to bail pretty early as I was very tired and they were all still going strong. After taking a group photo, I walked back to my car and drove back to my hotel to crash for the night.
Hanging with the MMs from the East Coast
Sunday
I ate an early lunch at Japanese Curry Zen before heading back home. The owner/head chef continues to train one of his employees on preparing the plate of food while he makes the curry. Curry has a lot of spices that are good for your health and it tastes good too! I wish I could've stayed longer. There are so much good food to be eaten in Vegas.
Curry is good for you!
White rice curry with chicken katsu, kurobuta sausages, and ebi
















No comments:
Post a Comment